Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mojave Cross

Usually when I post something, it takes me several days. I write from the heart, but then let it sit and steep while I think. I reread and revise a couple times before I publish. But today I'm writing from the heart and putting it out there. Because I'm angry. If I was a cartoon character, I'm sure steam would be coming out of my ears. See, I'd heard about the whole fiasco of the Mojave Cross a few months ago, but had forgotten about it. My memory was just triggered as I was updated on the case. As a Christian, I'm obviously deeply concerned and grieved at the prospect of our freedoms being stripped away, and the cross's removal is definitely a symbol of that. But this case goes beyond our religious freedom. No matter your political party or religious beliefs, this cross is a memorial for those brave men and women who have given their lives for this country. We would not enjoy the blessings of this country if these precious people, from the founders of our country to those presently serving, were not willing to lay down their lives for US! And the gov't and ACLU and all those who are anti-Christian are willing to desecrate this VETERAN MEMORIAL to further their cause. Will we continue to sit idly by and allow them to do this?



I know why this case makes my blood boil ... I am amazingly blessed to have several godly men in my life. One of those men is my father-in-law. I love this guy like he's my own dad. And he's a Vietnam Veteran. I'd love to tell his story, but it's not mine to tell. My two grandfathers and adopted grandfather all fought bravely in WWII. My great-grandfather was honored for his service in WWI. Their lives were changed because of their service. They are some of the fortunate ones who came home, but their lives were never the same and they gave of themselves fully knowing that they may not survive. How could I not honor their service? How could I stand idly by and not respond to an attack on a memorial that honors their fallen comrades? That could have just as easily been one to honor them? Are we so consumed in our own busy-ness that we will allow a select few who happen to sit in positions of influence to transform our country into something unrecognizable from it's original design?



I urge you to pray for our country. Pray for those who still faithfully serve. Check out the story of the Mojave Cross and sign the letter to President Obama on www.putthecrossback.com. And honor the memory of those who lay down their life that you may have the freedom you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment